Primers are considered as one of the most essential skin care product you need to use under makeup or without makeup at all to achieve a smooth, crease-free finish without blemishes. It also helps a lot with oil control so a lot women try on different primers to cover up their skin impurities. But sometimes using one, can lead to skin irritation or cause breakouts that’s why you really need to know a product inside out before using it.
If you have acne-prone skin the optimal solution is to find the right makeup primers with acne-fighting ingredients. Primers with skin moisturizers will also ease dryness and itchiness. Read on as we dig deeper about the best primer for acne-prone skin.
Things to Consider in Choosing the Best Primer for Acne Prone Skin
- Things to Consider in Choosing the Best Primer for Acne Prone Skin
- 1. TOUCH IN SOL No Pore Blem Primer
- 2.bareMinerals Original Prime Time Foundation Primer
- 3. e.l.f. Poreless Putty Primer, Hydrating Formula
- 4. Maybelline New York Face Studio Master Prime Primer
- 5. Covergirl & Olay Simply Ageless Makeup Primer
- 6. LORAC “I’m So Sensitive” Soothing Face Primer
- 7. Skindinavia Primer Face Makeup Matte Mattifying Oil Control Shine Control Pore
- 8. BECCA – Ever Matte Poreless Priming Perfector
- 9. tarte Poreless Mattifying Primer
- 10. KORRES Wild Rose Smoothie Brightening Priming Moisturiser
- 11. NYX PROFESSIONAL MAKEUP Pore Filler Primer
- 12. DHC Velvet Skin Coat
- 13. 24k Pure Gold Foil Essence Serum, Makeup Primer
- 14. e.l.f. Blemish Control Face Primer, Matte Finish
- 15. Revlon PhotoReady Primer, Pore Reducing
- 16. Neutrogena Skinclearing Complexion Perfector With Salicylic Acid
- 17. Benefit The Porefessional Pro Balm To Minimize The Appearance Of Pores
- 18. Matte Makeup Base Primer for Face
- 19. Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer. All Day Oil-Free Makeup Primer with SPF 15. Vegan and Cruelty-Free
- 20. Too Faced Cosmetics Primed and Poreless
- 21. Clinique Super Universal Face Primer Dry Combination to Oily Skin for Wome
- 22. SMASHBOX Photo Finish Even Skintone Primer
- 23. Philosophy The Present – Invisible Skin Perfector and Oil-free Makeup Primer
- 24. SHANY Mineral Infused Face Primer – Paraben Free
- 25. Premium Foundation Makeup Primer- aging, fine lines, wrinkles & pore minimizer primer
- 26. bareMinerals Blemish Remedy Mattifying Prep Gel
• Water-based formula
According to Ellen Marmur, M.D., one should always look for hyaluronic acid and glycerin in order to moisturize and heal the skin without clogging the pores. Water-based primers are silicon-free and most likely to be oil-free as well. It is lightweight and keeps the skin hydrated, preventing breakouts and irritations.
Non-comedogenic products will not clog your pores, it gives your skin the ability to breathe even with makeup sitting on your face all day long. It is highly recommended by dermatologists because it will prevent developing or worsening acne and breakouts.
Products free of parabens, dyes, fragrances and other common irritants are considered hypoallergenic. These are ideal for sensitive and acne-prone skin.
1. TOUCH IN SOL No Pore Blem Primer
No more problem with pores because touch in SOL No Pore Blem got it all covered for you. Prepare yourself for a no makeup look with this perfecting primer. It has a lightweight formula that offers seamless coverage for pores, wrinkles and uneven complexion. Protect your skin from acne with its green tea extracts and soluble collagen that helps with skin’s moisture level.
• Lightweight formula
• Microfiber primer with invisible layers protecting the skin from outside elements
• Clogs the pore
2.bareMinerals Original Prime Time Foundation Primer
Combat excess oil, uneven texture, dryness and enlarged pores with bareMinerals Original Prime Time Foundation Primer. It soothes and nourishes skin with plant extracts, antioxidants and vitamins. Be fresh looking for a longer time with no worries of any harmful chemicals because it is free of preservatives and irritants so you can be comfortable all day.
• Extends the wear of foundation
• It contains, Dimethicone that helps remove excess sebum and oil from skin
• Suitable for all skin types
• Great coverage but use enough amount as needed as it could appear cakey if too much product is used
3. e.l.f. Poreless Putty Primer, Hydrating Formula
Lock in your skin’s moisture with e.l.f. Poreless Putty Primer. This primer covers all imperfections and at the same time gives your makeup all-day lasting ability. It won’t cause irritation because it’s 100% vegan and cruelty-free, it doesn’t contain any phthalates, parabens, nonylphenol, triclosan and other harmful chemicals. Simply allow it to set for 30 seconds before applying foundation and/or concealer for better results.
• Cruelty free and vegan
• All-day lasting ability
• Full coverage
• Thick in consistency
4. Maybelline New York Face Studio Master Prime Primer
Even your skin tone and blur the imperfections with Maybeline New York Face Studio Master Primer Primer. This weightless, water based formly is great for oily and acne prone skin because it’s non-oily so you wouldn’t experience any greasy feel. Use this for long lasting makeup or wear it alone for a no makeup look and protect your skin from sun damage. It is dermatologist tested and great for sensitive skin.
• Does not clog pores
• Suitable for all skin types
• Water-based formula to blur imperfections, redness and prevent skin irritation
• Feels greasy on skin
5. Covergirl & Olay Simply Ageless Makeup Primer
Why not opt for a 3-in-1 product that fights the signs of aging and wrinkles? Covergirl + Play Simply Ageless Makeup Primer preps the skin for a younger looking and nourished skin. It makes you feel fresh and hydrated all day. This contains Hyaluronic Complex and vitamin C which is known for its anti-aging benefit and helps minimize redness associated with acne and increase the skin’s collagen production.
• Never tested on animals
• Convenient pump bottle for easy use
• Repairs acne scars
• Doesn’t leave a matte finish and makes the skin look oily
6. LORAC “I’m So Sensitive” Soothing Face Primer
If you have extra sensitive skin then LORAC “I’m So Sensitive” Soothing Face Primer is for you.
This water-based, paraben, fragrance and silicone free primer has gentle formula infused with Salicylic Acid, vitamins A, C and E for a healthy, radiant and young looking skin. Prevent acne causing bacteria to purify and exfoliate your skin for a healthier appearance with this primer.
• Minimizes pores and fine lines
• Ultra-light and super hydrating
• Removes acne causing dirt and bacteria
• It contains Aluminum Starch which when exposed too much might cause Alzheimer’s
Minimizing Paraben-Free Silicone-Free Cruelty-Free Skin Care Extreme Longwear Long-lasting Primer Spray Make U
Control oily skin and prevent breakouts with Skindinavia Makeup Primer Spray. It’s a vitamin-based primer that absorbs oil while creating a smooth lightweight feel on the skin for flawless makeup application. It is recommended for oily to combination skin types. This primer spray is waterproof and heat resistant so you can comfortably use it on any weather and keep your makeup from creasing, sliding melting.
• Safe and effective for all skin types
• Paraben free, cruelty free and vegan
• Evens out skin tone, reduces appearance of large pores and prevents breakouts
• It contains fragrance that might can cause skin irritation
8. BECCA – Ever Matte Poreless Priming Perfector
If you are looking for a skin tightening and pore minimizing silicone-free primer then BECCA Ever Matte Poreless Priming Perfector is for you. You can use it as a pre-foundation primer or over makeup for quick touch ups. It ideal for oily to combination skin types because it is madeof sweat and humidity resistant formula.
• Fragrance free, alcohol free and silicone free
• Keeps a smooth matte surface throughout the day
• Lightweight formula without oil
• Get the best results when applied by patting movement as it may become flakey when rubbed on the skin
9. tarte Poreless Mattifying Primer
Resurface uneven skin texture from fine lines, dry patches or even acne scars with Tarte Poreless Mattifying Primer. It featurea an optical matte-blur technology that naturally covers imperfections and creates a shine-free matte canvas for a long lasting foundation. It also has a sweat resistant formula that prevents makeup meltdown making it ideal for oily or combination skin.
• Great coverage for all skin imperfections
• Matte blur technology for a smooth and lightweight finish
• Can be used on any weather and prevent makeup meltdown
• It takes long to set in your skin
10. KORRES Wild Rose Smoothie Brightening Priming Moisturiser
KORESS Wild Rose Smoothie Brightening Priming Moisturiser is ideal for dry skin. It is infused with wild rose oil, vitamin C, hyaluronic acid and turmeric extract to keep the skin hydrated for more than 12 hours. It contains 96.9% of natural ingredients that effectively kills acne-causing bacteria and nourishes the skin while eliminating excess shine for a perfectly prepped skin for makeup.
• Free of parabens, mineral oil, silicones, and Propylene Glycol
• Reduces the appearance of fine lines and skin discoloration
• Lightweight moisturizer
• Pricey for a 30 ml primer bottle
11. NYX PROFESSIONAL MAKEUP Pore Filler Primer
Worry no more because of oily skin and enjoy prolonged makeup wear with NYX Professional Makeup Pore Filler Primer. It’s made of oil and talc-free formula infused with vitamin E to help minimize pore appearance and achieve a matte makeup finish for any skin type. This cruelty free product is infused with vitamin E for a smoother and more enhanced skin.
• Perfect pre-foundation basecoat
• Great for acne prone skin and doesn’t cause irritation or breakouts
• Less expensive and works well in minimizing pore appearance
• Avoid cakey feeling by patting gently on skin instead of rubbing
12. DHC Velvet Skin Coat
Instantly soften and improve skin impurities with DHC Velvet Skin Coat. It helps improve the look of your skin by minimizing the appearance of fine lines, pores and other imperfections and at the same time reduces skin oiliness. Glide makeup easily on your skin and wear it longer because of it sweat resistant formula that prevents makeup meltdown. Use it without drying time needed so you can look fresh and flawless.
• No drying time needed
• Doesn’t clog the pores, reduces oiliness and prevents breakouts
• Leaves the skin feeling silky smooth
• A bit expensive for 0.52 oz tube
13. 24k Pure Gold Foil Essence Serum, Makeup Primer
Moisturizing Anti-Aging Anti-Redness Acne Treament Essencial Cream, Face Skin Essence Serum Hyaluronic
24k Pure Gold Foil Essence Serum Makeup Primer has an anti-wrinkle formula to improve skin elasticity and improves skin absorption. It’s an effective moisturizer that replenishes lost moisture leaving skin firmer and more vibrant. This fragrance, cruelty, paraben, and petroleum free product is ideal for all skin types, it also works perfectly before any makeup as a base.
• Lightweight and infused with anti-aging properties
• Restores the skin’s natural glow and prevents breakouts
• Gentle on skin and makes it more healthy looking
• Glass bottle
14. e.l.f. Blemish Control Face Primer, Matte Finish
e.l.f. Blemish Control Face Primer is perfect for your everyday go-to-primer because it helps figh breakouts and lets your makeup glide on smoothly. It is great for acne prone skin since it infused with salicylic acid, vitamin E and tear tree, 3 core ingredients that prevents acne-causing bacteria and more importantly keeps the skin hydrated and moisturized. It is also 100% cruelty free and made without parabens, phthalate, triclosan and triclocarban.
• Doesn’t cause makeup meltdown
• Infused with ingredients that prevents breakouts
• Cruelty free and vegan
• Becomes flakey when you rub it on your skin so better to do the patting method for smoother matte finish
15. Revlon PhotoReady Primer, Pore Reducing
Reduce sebum production on the skin and prevent breakouts with Revlon Photoready Primer. It helps achieve a smooth and poreless look that stays matte. It is made from pore reducing formula that instantly minimizes appearance of pores and be photo ready anytime of the day. This lightweight formula effective blurs out blemishes without causing any irritation so it’s great for all skin types
• Lightweight formula
• Works great on all skin types
• Reduces production of sebum on skin
• Great product but the pump stops working halfway through the bottle
16. Neutrogena Skinclearing Complexion Perfector With Salicylic Acid
Neutrogena Skinclearing Complexion Perfector provides sheer coverage while clearing breakouts. It is ideal for acne prone skin and gives it a natural-looking radiance. It also contains micro-clear technology that is clinically proven to treat acne for a clearer and healthier skin. Use this to instantly blur acne and minimize pore appearance for a flawless looking complexion.
• It doesn’t just cover, it clears up breakouts
• Doesn’t clog the pores
• Provides a sheer, light coverage
• Use a small amount and pat it gently on your skin since the formula is watery
17. Benefit The Porefessional Pro Balm To Minimize The Appearance Of Pores
Benefit The Porefessional Pro Balm is an oil-free formula that minimizes the appearance of pore for a sleek finish. It creates a refined and flawless looking skin that you can use under or over makeup. It suits a wide variety of skin types and tones and leaves the skin silky smooth without any residue.
• Silky and lightweight
• Evens out skin and fights acne
• Ideal for all skin types and skin tones
• Works well without foundation
18. Matte Makeup Base Primer for Face
Elizabeth Mott Thank Me Later Face Primer for Oily Skin – Pore Minimizer, Shine Control Make Up Primer to Hide Wrinkles and Fine Lines – Cruelty Free Cosmetics
Prep and prime your skin to get that instant mattifying results with Thank Me Later Face Primer. It brightens and balances skin tone and blurs visible pores to create a smooth canvas. This primer locks down foundation so you can wear your makeup all day long. It is lightweight and hydrating so you wouldn’t feel any oil and grease because your skin is moisturized.
• Controls oil production
• Never tested on animals
• Sweat and water resistant formula
• Do a patch test before using if full-on because can cause allergic reaction due to some ingredients
19. Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer. All Day Oil-Free Makeup Primer with SPF 15. Vegan and Cruelty-Free
Get the oil-free makeup primer you needed with SPF 15, and try Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer. Conceal redness while minimizing pore appearance with this oil free primer. Use it not only to blur blemishes but also as an effective sunscreen so your skin is protected and your makeup looks freshly applied. This product is free of parabens, sulfates, phthalates nanoparticles, fragrance and gluten and never tested on animals.
• Conceals redness even rosacea
• Ideal for oily skin
• Primer with SPF 15 for skin protection
• Pricey compared to other primers
20. Too Faced Cosmetics Primed and Poreless
Erase pores and imperfections with Too Faced Skin Smoothing Face Primer. Do it without harming your skin, blur those fine lines and improve your complexion for a skin ready for some bronzer. It has a customized formula that provides an airbrushed canvas. This primer is also infused with mulberry extract and arctostaphylos UVA URSI to protect, brighten and lighten skin for a renewed freshness.
• It has retinyl palmitate and ctclodextrin with cavarmax retinol to restore skin moisture,elasticity and suppleness
• Infused with Camellia oil and vitamin A essence for antioxidant properties
• Softens lines and perfects complexion
• Too pricey for a primer
21. Clinique Super Universal Face Primer Dry Combination to Oily Skin for Wome
Clinique Super Universal Face Primer is perfect for dry combination to oily skin. It helps create an ideal makeup canvas because it’s lightweight and oil-free. It is free of parabens and phthalates so you can correct any colors safely as it preps the skin for makeup application.
• Great coverage for patches, fine lines and redness
• Keeps the skin hydrated
• Lightweight and blurs pores without clogging them
• Thin consistency, not ideal for dry skin
22. SMASHBOX Photo Finish Even Skintone Primer
If you have uneven skin tone then Smashbox Color Correcting Primer is for you. It is primarily intended to minimize pores and restrict the sebum production to prevent acne or breakouts. It has vitamins A and C that helps reduce fine lines and wrinkles for a smoother and younger looking skin.
• Treats uneven skin tone and defies dark spots
• Ideal for acne prone skin
• Blurs redness and even Rosacea
• It doesn’t act as a concealer
23. Philosophy The Present – Invisible Skin Perfector and Oil-free Makeup Primer
Philosphy The Present Invisible Skin Perfector will provide your skin a touch, you can use it daily for casual wear. This is ideal for all skin type because it has an antibacterial properties the prevent breakouts and acnes leaving the skin an airbrush finish. It helps smoothen the appearance of fine lines, pores and uneven texture.
• Oil-free formula for flawless makeup application
• Natural antimicrobial enzyme that promotes skin clarity
• Matte finish
• Consistency is too thick
24. SHANY Mineral Infused Face Primer – Paraben Free
Extend the wearability of any foundation with SHANY Mineral Infused Primer. This paraben free product is silicone based and acts as a BB cream and will cover acne scar, face lines and pores. It has vitamins A, E and grape seed extract that acts as moisturizers while ensuring a flawless complexion.
• Not tested on animals and PETA member
• Get the full coverage needed as it acts as a BB cream
• Works well on all skin types
• Leaves a greasy feeling
25. Premium Foundation Makeup Primer- aging, fine lines, wrinkles & pore minimizer primer
Bellezza Secreto Premium Makeup Primer is perfect for those who are looking a primer with great anti-aging benefits. It is lightweight and makes skin feel soft, smooth and moisturized. It is suitable for all skin types from dry, oily, sensitive , normal and to combination skin. It eliminates redness and excess oil so you can expect a long lasting makeup all day.
• Non-greasy formula
• Paraben fee, fragrance free and FDA approved
• Enriched with vitamins A and E to encourage cell reproduction
• It is silicone based
26. bareMinerals Blemish Remedy Mattifying Prep Gel
Prep your skin with a lightweigh gel that glides on effortlessly and try bareMinerals Blemish Remedy Mattifying Prep Gel. It is rich with antioxidants and organic extracts like tea tree oil which is essential in healing acne. Use this to completely hide skin imperfections due to breakouts. It is formulated without parabens so it’s safe for all skin types.
• Non-comedogenic product that reduces sebum production
• Ideal for acne prone skin
• Provides as smooth matte look
• Contains fragrance and can cause skin irritation
1. Q : Is my primer causing my breakouts?
A: It can cause breakouts especially if you have acne-prone skin and are using silicone based primer. It is recommended by dermatologists to go for a water-based skin care products as it won’t clog your pores and prevent acne or breakouts.
2. Q: Is primer good for acne-prone skin?
A: Primers are not bad for acne-prone skin, in fact there are lots primers that are intended for the said skin type. You should opt for primers with acne-fighting ingredients to keep your skin hydrated and avoid aggravating your skin. It is best to consult a dermatologist if you have sever skin condition for optimal prevention.
3. Q: Will primer help my makeup last longer if I have oily skin?
A: Yes! Make sure to check out non-comedogenic primers, to help your skin breathe even with makeup on. There also primers for oil control so make you check them out on list below.
Makeup primers mainly helps us cover blemishes, redness, impurities and pores. It helps us look fairer and beautiful but we need to be sure that the primer we are using matches our skin type. Avoid silicone-based primers if you are prone to acne because this will clog your pores and cause more problems. Don’t just confine yourself with primers that cover blemish but go extra mile to cover it for the meantime and let it heal in the process. Primers with sun screen (at least SPF 15) at least SPF 15, Tea Tree Oil, Salicyli Acid and Glycerin would greatly help prevent breakouts and improve skin moisture.
Aside from using primers as part of your skin care routine never forget to do your daily responsibilities to protect your skin by exfoliating, cleansing moisturizing naturally. Have a healthy diet and drink lots of water to replenish the moisture in your skin for smoother and healthier looking skin.